Task Force to expedite CID probe into Easter Sunday terror attacks

Task Force to expedite CID probe into Easter Sunday terror attacks

23 February 2020 02:12 pm

The Defence Ministry has established a Task Force (TF) to monitor the progress and  speed up the on-going investigation by the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) into last year’s Easter Sunday serial terrorist attacks in the country, which had claimed more than 250 lives.

The six-member TF, which includes top officials from various intelligence agencies and is headed by the Chief of National Intelligence,  Maj.Gen. Jagath Alwis, has been instructed to submit weekly reports to the Defence Secretary Maj.Gen. (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne, Defence  Ministry said.    

The TF was set up following a directive by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to ensure speedy investigations into the attacks on churches and leading hotels in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa, Maj. Gen. Gunaratne said.  

“The CID investigation into these attacks was not conducted in an effective way during the last regime. I

f we fail to conduct a proper investigation, we are not doing justice to those innocent people who died and over 500 victims who are living with life-long serious scars and injuries due to the deadly bomb explosions,” the Defence Secretary said.  

“President Rajapaksa had instructed to secure the contribution of all intelligence agencies which come under the Defence Ministry to identify, collect authentic information related to the attacks, and gather new information and evidence to take legal action against all those involved in supporting the extremists who carried out the attacks,” the Defence Secretary disclosed. .  

Assuring a proper probe, the Defence Secretary said that the TF would be a fact-finding mission to get accurate information to support the CID’s on-going investigation, as it needs a lot of inputs from intelligence agencies.